Sedation ( with Fr . Sedatif from Lat . Sedatio - sedation ) - is the introduction of the drug helps to relax the patient and hold comfortably all dental procedures .
Benefits of Sedation :
- No pain ;
- Treatment a large number of affected teeth at the same time ;
- Rest and relaxation, the absence of fear ;
- High quality of treatment ;
- Sedation - this is not a general anesthetic , so do not use drugs or muscle relaxants , no side effects.
In Ukraine, sedation is used less frequently than in countries such as Great Britain, Israel , USA. where almost 90% of children treated under sedation .
Route of administration of sedatives :
- Inhalation ;
- Orally or rectally ;
Indications for treatment under sedation :
- Adults and children that have overwhelming fear of dental treatment ( dentofobiya );
- Significant disorders of the immune system;
- Allergy to local anesthetics ;
- Nervous system disorders , mental illness (schizophrenia , cerebral palsy , epilepsy , Parkinson's disease , etc.).
Contraindications for sedation :
- Acute infectious diseases;
- Respiratory disease ( asthma, pneumonia , chronic bronchitis );
- Pregnancy ;
- Patients who have recently suffered an acute myocardial infarction ;
- Pyoderma ;
- Patients who have recently vaccinate ;
- Alcohol or drug abuse ;
- Traumatic brain injury .